Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Visit to the Goshala

So we can't just go down to the local dairy and just buy 2L of milk here. Things work a little differently. You can either get your milk from the local milkman like my mother does, who will come to your door every day and deliver whatever you need (1L one day, 1/2 L another day, 5L another), or you can put your milk tin out and get it delivered fresh from the cows themselves like I do, from the Goshala, and you get one set amount every day, no changing.

The downside of getting milk from the milkman (Uttam is his name) is that actually the milk is watered down, and although you don't really notice too much, its just not as rich as the milk from the goshala. And the downside of getting milk from the goshala is that although it is the most beautiful milk, creamy and thick, you cannot be guaranteed that you will get it every single day, especially in the summer - because the cows don't produce the same amount of milk every day. Although I have an order for 1L every single day, sometimes I will only find 1/2L in my milk tin, and in fact the last two days my tin has been left empty.

Yesterday Ishaan and I wandered on down to the goshala to visit the cows, pay our milk bill from last month, and find out why there had been no milk delivered for 2 days.

Ishaan enjoying a sweet lassi drink, kinda like a milkshake made from the yoghurt thats made from the milk that comes straight from the cows. Deeeeeelicious. (Well I never got any, but you can tell from Ish's face)
I'm sure this one was giving me the evils.

I love this photo. The calves just looked so content laxing out in the sun.
Massive ears.
Massive horns.

No comments:

Post a Comment